Monday, April 28, 2008

Thistle Blossom with orange bug


Thistle Blossom with orange bug
Originally uploaded by kretyen
On our hike Saturday up to Atascosas Peak we saw hundreds of thistles blooming. Inside every blossom were all kinds of interesting bugs. Most of them were literally buried deep in the heart of the blossom, but occasionally we would see one emerge head first, like this little orange bug.

I have a deep philosophical difference with Jenni when it comes to hiking. I want to go slow and look at all the interesting things underfoot and overhead. She wants to get exercise. She's always frustrated by my frequent stops. I'm always huffing and puffing to keep up with her frenetic pace. Well, that's life, I guess.

But if I pushed on too fast, I wouldn't see little bugs climbing out of thistle blossoms.

1 comment:

CatherineK said...

I really enjoyed all the pictures, Ken. Keep up the good work. It's fun seeing pictures of the kids.
Love,
Rachel