Sunday, April 27, 2008

Atascosas hikers


Atascosas hikers
Originally uploaded by kretyen
On the way up to Atascosas Peak we stopped for a group photo. The kids did much better than their old Uncle Ken. The round trip to the top of the mountain is about 5 miles. There is 1,800 feet of elevation gain on this hike--it is definitely uphill all the way to the top. Normal people can do this hike in about 4 hours up and back. It took me 6 hours. Karl was very kind and stayed with me on the way down as I stopped to let my heart rate recover every 200 steps or so. I wore a heart monitor and used it to tell me when I should take a break. At the end of the 6 hours the monitor said I had consumed 5,500 calories! Not bad for a day's work. So, having burned off a bit of fat, we proceeded to Wendy's after the hike for well-deserved Frosties. Yum.

No comments: